Kiwis Come Out On Top In Women’s 470
10 August, 2012
New Zealand’s Jo Aleh and Olivia Powrie came out on top in a winner takes all battle between Hannah Mills and Saskia Clark (GBR).
The Kiwis won the Medal Race whilst the Brits finished last. Despite a penalty turn Lisa Westerhof and Lobke Berkhout (NED) managed to do enough to take bronze.
Mills and Clark did everything right at the pre-start and forced the Kiwis to the back of the fleet. But whilst the Brits went left the Kiwis went right and the Brits got caught in the pack and were unable to turn. Aleh and Powrie capitalised to take a commanding lead at the first mark and they further extended it through a light wind race to take the bullet by 41 seconds ahead of Giulia Conti and Giovanna Micol (ITA).
1. Jo Aleh and Olivia Powrie (NZL) – 35pts
2. Hannah Mills and Saskia Clark (GBR) – 51pts
3. Lisa Westerhof and Lobke Berkhout (NED) – 64pts
4. Camille Lecointre and Mathilde Geron (FRA) – 65pts
5. Giulia Conti and Giovanna Micol (ITA) – 73pts
Story by ISAF - http://www.sailing.org/olympics/london2012/news/32038.php