New Council for Hong Kong Boating Industry Association
4 June, 2018
After four months of hard work, the Hong Kong Boating Industry Association (Hong Kong BIA) is now fully established, with a Council being elected at the AGM held on 27 March 2018. Acting Chair Simon Boyde gave an update on the legal standing of the Hong Kong BIA, and Acting Treasurer Louise Connolly reported on the financial position and the number of members. A strong turn out of company representatives then elected a Chair, Deputy Chair, Treasurer and Secretary, along with eight sector representatives. To date over 35 companies have joined the Association.
The Council positions are:
Chair: Simon Boyde, Storm Force Marine
Deputy Chair: Lawrence Chow, China Pacific Marine
Treasurer: Louise Connolly, Storm Force Marine
Meeting Secretary: Vincent Yeung, Ince and Co
The 8 Sector Representatives are:
Builders/Yards/Manufacturers: Paul Blanc, Groupe Beneteau
Boat Charter/Yacht Management: Bryan Tse, Anglo Eastern
Shops/Distributors: Andrew Chan, Ronsil Development
Marinas/Clubs/Training Organisations: Alan Reid, RHKYC
Boat Brokers: Baggy Sartape, Asia Boating
Technical Services/Repairs/Installations: Genevieve Mok, Man Lee Tat
Professional/Surveying/Transportation/Safety Service: Richard Lamble, MSES
Media/PR: Suzy Rayment, Asia Yacht Press
Aims and Objectives
The membership also approved the Aims and Objectives for the following year and established a list of targets for the Council to work on:
- To seek international recognition by ICOMIA.
- To seek local recognition by relevant Government bodies.
- To seek local recognition by relevant local Business associations.
- To seek representation on the HK Watersports Council.
- To consider a paid secretariat to run the Association.
- To prepare, circulate, and report on a survey of Members.
- To appoint an Auditor and Company Secretary for the Association.
- To develop a Code of Ethics to be added to the Aims and Objectives of the Association.
- Approach to be made to the ICAC for information on courses which could be useful for Hong Kong BIA members.
- To seek and appoint an Honorary President of the Association.
- To investigate the future location of a major industry promotion event – Boat Hong Kong.
The Association website https://hongkongbia.com/ is now operational through a cloud-based system and members can access data and information through a membership portal.
MarDep were invited to the meeting and though they were unable to attend they did send a message to, “Wishing every success to the Association and looking forward to meeting with the Council in the near future.”
The First Council meeting was held on the 15 May 2018 and each of the sectors are now following up with the relevant members to both grow the Association and strengthen communication between the members of the various sectors.